Friday 5 April 2013

Fingerling Potato Salad

So I found this recipe on Pinterest, decided to try it out. It's totally easy, and the time the potatoes spend cooking, I spent preparing. It was awesome!




  • 2-3 pounds of fingerling potatoes ( if you dont have a scale, I'd say about 15, I used these mini potatoes that were a cross of baby potatoes and fingerling potatoes- anyways, it's best to weigh them)
  • 4 green onions (the recipe calls for white part only, but i used the entire stalk- I kind of love green onions- it doesn't change the taste or anything so feel free to do as you please)
  • 1 stalk of celery, diced ( I think i used two, somewhat because my stalks looked pathetic, but again, chose what you'd like)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 tsp of celery seed ( I just poured it out until it looked sufficient- if you haven't used celery seed before, it does add quite a taste, so start with a little and add as you please- you could even omit the salt and use celery salt)
  • fresh chives- i used garlic chives, which i also love, so again, add as much as you want
  • I added in a couple strips of bacon, crumbled (chopped), even though the recipe didn't call for i
Dressing:
  • 2 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup mayo
I didn't think that this was very much sauce- you'll come to learn I love saucy foods- so I doubled it, just mad it more creamy.
I also added a little blob, about a penny sized, of dijon mustard to the sauce, since most recipes call for that in the dressing

SO: Wash the potatoes, and cut them up into bite size pieces- I cut my potatoes into 8. You can peel them if you like, I didn't, it's less work, looks better, tastes better, and has more nutrients. Then you have to steam the potatoes- it really doesn't take long, just until they're tender enough to eat- careful not too much though, or else they'll get all mushy, and then you'd have a mashed potato salad- MMM?

In the mean time, cut up the celery & onion and put them in a large bowl. If you're making bacon to put in as well, now is the time. Then take your steamed potatoes, strain them, and drop them into the bowl with the celery and onion. (When I was eating the salad, I was thinking how it would taste that much better with some hard oiled eggs, so really, whatever you like!)

Mix together the mayo, red wine vinegar, and mustard if you're using it. Pour the dressing over the potatoes while they're still warm. Add salt, pepper, & celery seed to taste (and if you like a little bit of that spicy kick, maybe add some paprika.)

TA-DA. Deliciousness in a few quick minutes. 

If you're worried about the calories from the mayo, don't worry, I used low fat mayo (it was all I had), and it still tasted great! Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment